Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 8:50am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I guess I see it this way Squid: I have to put beads encased with Lauscha in the kiln glowing (i.e. extra hot) to keep them from cracking and anneal them at a higher temp. I'm guessing it's sort of the same thing but with different req's.
That's completely different, Redayh. Putting Lauscha in the kiln glowing is to prevent it from cooling too fast at room temperature - we all know that cooling too fast can cause thermal shock, thus cracking.

Working any glass too hot IN THE FLAME does not cause cracking.

Incidentally working cooler helps bubbling ONLY when the glass rods are NOT scummy and bubbly and/or already have a hollow tube running down the middle. Glass rods, like a lot of the Devardi sampler I got, were scummy and bubbly and/or had a hole down the middle of the rod . . . which led to shattering and bubbling.

Thank you for posting those beads that did NOT crack. I don't doubt that there were many (especially those without silver glass and those with silver glass that are not over 2"). As I stated before, the BIGGEST problem with this cheap Devardi glass is that it is INCONSISTENT! Some people have no issues and others have all kinds of problems . . . poor quality control and lack of compatibility testing with other COE 104 glass may be the reasons.

Thus, you may have absolutely NO problem with a color today. But when you run out and you purchase more, you may start having problems from shattering, scumming, to crackling. IF you want to spend the time to test every new color, every new batch you purchase, that's your prerogative. As mentioned in the above post, my time is too valuable to be wasted on testing cheap glass . . . if you figure in the time I would spend, the glass wouldn't be cheap anymore!

My posting here is not to argue with the Devardi advocates. My posting here is to share my experience with this INCONSISTENT cheap Devardi glass so that newer lampworkers can make informed decision on whether or not to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|