View Single Post
Old 2018-12-29, 3:20pm
Phill

Edited To Add: The following is all in reference to US building codes and piped in city natural gas.

Please let us know what you learn from this.

There still a lot of places that refuse to do anything outside the scope of what ever their normal is.

It is most likely an insurance issue; their insurance won't cover them if they do anything that isn't normal house hold furnace or stove work.

There a lot of city and county code inspectors that wont sign off on lampwork facilities in a home either.

If you don't find what you need with the booklet you are looking for you could try getting the city / county code inspectors written approval and failing that you could get the local fire marshal to work with the gas installers.

Every barrier you manage to knock down will make life easier for the next person that wants to set up a lampworking studio.

Where I live there is a "home is a castle" rule that says I can do what ever I want to my own home as long as it is approved by the local code inspector.

I have run a gas line to my new gas stove when I moved in, installed electrical wiring, outlets and lighting, replaced a gas hot water heater, install a fence and built a deck without hiring anyone.

That means I also can research what I want to do and write up all the details and get it initialed by the code inspector and do the work myself and get the inspector to approve the work I've done.

My homeowners insurance will then cover it in the event something happens.

Another thing I can do is get a "friend" to show me how to do or install something in my home.

I can't "hire" the friend to do work that requires code inspection without getting the code certificate but I can do the work myself and my "friend can help me" do it.

What you can also do is "ask for a professionals opinion" on - how something should be done - ( right down to the details of what to buy and how to make the fittings and mountings work and what kind of problems you could run into ).
{Wink, wink - Information like that can help you figure out what the projects costs will be and how much time it will take to do the task. That will help you evaluate bids to have the work done sometime in the future - wink wink}

You will probably have to pay the professional for their time for this 'consultation' but it most likely won't cost as much as hiring them to actually do the project.

There are tons of videos about installing things in the home that can show you what you need to do and lots of us that have done this kind of work ourselves who would be willing to tell you how we did it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-01-09 at 4:03pm.