View Single Post
Old 2005-10-04, 9:34am
PyronamixK

Thank you, Pam, for your thoughtful post. You are absolutely right. We should be helping each other instead of tearing each other down.

Back to the topic of this thread:

When I started lampworking, I used to use a Hot Head. It was a great way to get introduced to melting glass (aside from the Bunsen burner I used in Chemistry). The Hot Head has many benefits.

It is inexpensive. If it were more expensive, I may not have been able to try lampworking to see if it was for me.

It is slow. I list this as a benefit because when I started out, working slow helped me. I learned better how glass moves. I also learned a little more about patience.

It is a real torch and can do just about anything - just maybe on a smaller scale. I have seen beads that are absolutely stunning and were made on a Hot Head. I believe that a true artist can make his or her tools sing. Of course, some tools are a lot easier to deal with than others, but what tools someone uses is a personal choice (like Pam stated above).

After a while, I decided that I wanted to melt larger globs of glass in a shorter amount of time than I was able with my trusty Hot Head. I also wanted more control over my flame. I wanted to add detail to my sculptural beads without melting other stuff in. So, I looked around and found the Lynx. I loved my Lynx and was very happy with it for a long time. I gave my Hot Head to a friend of mine who had taken a bead class, but was not ready to purchase an oxy/propane set-up. I was so happy that she could make beads and didn't have to wait. Her beads are beautiful, btw.

When I decided to work even bigger, particularly in boro, I felt that I needed a bigger torch. I still wanted the precision of the Lynx. So, naturally, I went with a Phantom. I gave my Lynx to my friend. She still used her Hot Head and after nearly a year, is just now getting that Lynx hooked up. I'm excited to see what beautiful beads she will be making on the Lynx.

So, there is my short story about the torches I have used and why. Oh, and just to clarify things, I bought my Lynx and my Phantom long before Willy and got together.