View Single Post
Old 2005-10-05, 4:27pm
Wild at Heart!

Barb,

Thanks fso much for your answer. It helped me a lot. I use a pretty low flame most of the time for stringer work, but like to turn it up for some things. I'm hoping I can purchase an Onyx+ next year. (crossed fingers) But, I think I will still keep my oxy tanks for boro.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb
Kristi,

Have to correct my post - I have the Onyx+ Generator (I used oxycon by mistake).

I will explain this non-technically because my brain is non-technical. I am now used to the flame so I am trying to think back to my original transition.

The only real difference is the intensity of the heat. If you want to do boro or very very large beads you will get frustrated but you can do both. I have no problems with any technique that I can contribute to using a generator rather then tanked oxy [I do have problems with techniques but that's me].

The upside to getting a generator is convenience. I can't tell you how absolutely great it is to just walk into my studio, flip the switch (always cracking your oxy knob first and letting it warm up) and sitting down day or night to torch for as long as you want.

So, unless your work requires a lot of heat then I don't think you will notice a difference. I have never hooked up a minor to the generator but I should just to see how it works. The Cheeta isn't as happy because it does require a lot more ompfff then the Onyx+ can give it but then I find the Cheeta too powerful for what I do so I don't use it even with tanked oxy.

The biggest problem with trying to explain the difference is each torch is different and each artist works differently. There are those artists who prefer working on less intense heat and power and those who want more. The Onyx+ and Lynx is a great combination for those who don't want to melt the cover off of the ceiling lights.

Forgot to answer your first question. My work improved because it slowed down the melting process which allowed me to concentrate more on the details. My dots and stringer control were better, my shaping and details were easier and when I need to encase I just turn up the heat and I have no problem melting large rods. I have seen no difference in the colors or in reducing. I really can not think of one thing I do that I could do better using tanked oxy - except maybe raku frit but again that might be the artist??? Also, I have less shocking with the Moretti glass.

Barb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

??