View Single Post
Old 2020-04-09, 9:51pm
Phill

My first thought is that there should be more than one filter.

It's been a decade since I was knee deep into the details of these things but if I remember correctly there are 2 filters on the input side; one with larger pores that block hair, dust bunnies and critters and another one with much finer pores that would block flour sized particles and things of that size.

Then there was a third filter that I think is a bio-filter on the output side just before the oxygen gets to the front panel.
This one is supposed to keep biologic organisms from getting straight access to the lungs of someone sick enough to need an oxygen concentrator to stay alive.

I think Salt Lake City Glass used to have replacement filter kits for most of the oxygen concentrators out there.

The zeolite beds can last for a long time if they are not operated in a fine dust environment or in a high humidity area.

Once you ensure the filters are not the trouble you could try just turning it on at half the rated liter per minute output and let it run for an hour or two even with the alarm sounding and see if it will clear.

You can replace internal hoses and tubing with stuff from any hardware store and I would if they are not looking their best.

I wouldn't run it for for more than an hour without any of the filters in place but you could try it and see if it will clear the fault.

I have heard of some spiders that are fond of 1/8th to 3/16th inch openings. I wish I had more direct news for you.

Do you have an age estimate on the thing?

The motors that run the air compressor often have a start capacitor and I know from my 17 years of electronics work in the Navy that capacitors will go bad when they age and this kind of warm up symptom could be just that kind of thing.

Any motor rewind / repair shop should have replacements and there is always online or Grainger / McMaster Carr if you feel comfortable doing the work yourself.

The zeolite requires a specific minimum pressure to separate the oxygen from the nitrogen in the air and a weakening compressor motor will limit the purity of the oxygen coming out of the canisters.

Sorry to hear that this thing turned out to be a problem for you.

Please come back and teach us what you learn when you nail it down.

ETA; I almost forgot; Have you chased up any You Tube videos on your model? I am always learning stuff from online videos.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-04-09 at 10:01pm.