View Single Post
Old 2006-08-21, 3:26pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
The regulator did not cause the center candle of her torch to be longer than the rest. The regulator did not cause the center candle to be yellower than the rest.

Pressure from the regulator is not the problem here.

The needle valves control the flow of gas and oxygen to the torch.

Think of it this way...

All of the larger two-staged torches Bethlehem makes have the Piranha as the centerfire, right? The Barracuda, the Tiger Shark, The PM2D and the Great White. They all have the same centerfire and it is the same as the Piranha. Well, all of those larger torches require higher pressures to supply them with oxygen, typically 10-20 psi. So, when you are working on one of these big torches and then decide to just use the centerfire for something, do you run over to your tanks and adjust your pressures? No, you just keep on working. Why? Because the needle valves control what gets to the torch jets. The centerfire of those big torches (even when set at 20 psi) will perform just as nicely as the stand-alone Piranha (even if set at 10 psi). The only difference is that the valves will be more sensitive at the higher pressure - meaning you won't have to turn the valve as far to get the same adjustment.

I'm not saying the regulator is causing the problem she reported. I'm saying she recognized that the size of a regulator can have an effect... that the size may not be optimum for the purpose.

For me to be certain of my assertion, I asked for some feedback relative to regulator size versus good control.

Perhaps you are seeing the heart of the problem while I'm only seeing the periphery. I was looking at hissing. And if the regulator is soo big that a setting of say 10 is really like 20-40 psi (not saying for certain it is - just for argument sake) then perhaps the regulator could be contributing to the hissing? I don't get hiss at a true 10 psig. I do get hiss at true 20 psig, but I have never had to operate the Cuda that high. 10 pisg with lots of flow works really good for me.

As far as valves-pressure-flow, that's way too techincal, and takes way to much typing. I type way too slow to keep up (see how long it took me to post this?). I do agree the valves influence both. And are much more sensitive if the pressure is "up there".

But we could discuss tank flow and psig. Gobs of oxygen flows through the oxy reg at 10 psi. Gobs more than the Cuda could use. So all that's really controlled by uping the reg pressure is just pressure, because all the gobs of oxy are already available - just open the torch valve and let'em flow. But if the torch, or due to hose length, it needs more pressure to push'em through, then add more pressure. Do you agree?

Me