View Single Post
Old 2007-08-19, 2:33am

Hi Lana,
All that stuff is probably as safe as houses, I was speaking from personal preference in my earlier post. The fuming may be safe, the high oxide colours may also be safe, the dichroic probably too.
personally, though, I would not have anything on the surface at all, especially not fuming or colours which fume off. Like I said, they may all be safe, but also maybe one day someone may come along who's terribly allergic to metal oxides, get very sick and sue the ass off me. Who knows? I certainly don't ... and I'm not going to risk anything like that happening!
If I were to use any colours at all, I'd be using colours like cobalt blue, red elvis, ... that sort of thing and encase it in a tube first before I used it, or possibly make it an inside-out version. There's various ways of making i/o ,,, but you may run into more problems with those, too. Some i/o techniques are notoriously difficult to keep air traps out of. What can happen with air traps is that the air in them is hot, and therefore less dense. when it cools down it creates somewhat of a vacuum. If the bubble is large enough and the right kind of shape, and the glass hot enough at this stage, the bubble will contract and may pull some glass in. In some cases this can cause an internal sharp edge which will cause the glass to crack. So when doing an i/o tube -> solid rod be aware of this and trap as little air as possible.
One way of doing an internal colour twist would be to take a rod, lay colour around this rod (ie, you may want to do colour, clear, colour, clear, etc, to get lines like on the image you posted. Fasten this with a hose clamp and sleeve the appropriate size of tube over it. The tube should have an open handle to it (whether a pulled point or an attached smaller tube) so you can suck on this to help take out the air as you work your way along the tube with the flame ... you may start twisting the spiral as you fuse the whole thing together, or you can fuse everything first and then twist it all up ... does this make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2007-08-19 at 2:52am.