View Single Post
Old 2015-07-25, 6:58pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaronn View Post
Is it for advanced artists only?
Oh absolutely not! It is mostly off mandrel work so that you really get the feel of what the glass wants to do naturally and watching how gravity and gather sizes make some really awesome sculpture. It can be staying miniature to be incorporated to applique on a bead, or create pendants or small figures and architecture. A lot of learning on connections, marias, avolios, how to maximize the extension of building on a piece a-la-Italian style (meaning allowing your glass to cool while working and growing extensions without the piece blowing up). It's a process in learning and practice and patience.

One year we had a student that was determined to make hands and that perfect wrist gesture..... OMG, if she didn't have a mountain of limbs on her work space!! BUT come the end of the week, she did a beautiful silouette figure (she never even tried to do the separate legs position). Just the most elegant piece ever!

You never mind how others in the class are doing. Just stay focused and pursue your quest. You add the mix of the total immersion to the local ambiance and mama-mai .

I always tell students to just be a "sponge". Soak every little detail and nuance as if it was your last time you will ever be there (and I personally have taken that approach for 13 years and still learn more each and every time I am there). Carpe diem and you will never look back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.