View Single Post
Old 2015-09-19, 7:06pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle View Post
I did this a couple of years ago. Sadly that was the one year Ofilia missed and I never got to meet her in person. Even so, it was a wonderful trip!

My husband joined me as we were going on vacation elsewhere in Italy from there and he spent his days exploring Murano, Venice, Burano and probably one or two others. In his 5 days he had no shortage of things to keep him entertained while I was immersed in glass.

Lucio's studio is great - a clean, bright workspace and all that you expect in a teaching studio. But the thing that sets this apart from any other in the world is the AMAZING work by Lucio that not only surrounds you, but hangs above your head in the backroom where we ate lunch everyday.

Lucio is one of the most generous teachers I have ever had. I was the most beginner glassworker in my class and the first day thought everything was way over my head and self-conscious of my skills and ability to master what he was showing us. Lucio and I were talking about it and he reminded me that we all make mistakes (mu-stake in his Italian accent). He actually pointed out some of his 'mistakes' - his worst day will always be better than my best day - lol! Now everytime I am frustrated with how something is coming out on the torch I can hear Lucio in the back of my head telling me we all make mistakes.

Long story, but there is a point I promise! I saw a couple of people asking if it was only for advanced students, and it really isn't. Don't get me wrong, more advanced students will get so much out of a workshop with him, but so do beginners. I was in class with Monique Swinkels, look her up - she was the star of our workshop, she's amazing! Lucio was able to work with both of us and everyone in between and give us all what we needed/wanted from the workshop.

And then there is the whole experience outside of the workshop that is just incredible. Oh, and Roberto *sigh*. My husband swears that ogling Roberto was the main reason for my visit and desire to return

I would recommend it to everyone. Seriously. If Lucio can teach me, he can teach anyone!!
Ciao, Shelle! Come va? Thank you so much for chiming in about being comfortable in the group of different level students. The main thing I always tell students is not to compare themselves to others. It's not about that, it's about taking your journey to this next level of the full immersion!

One cannot ask for a more amicable environment. Lucio is a really great host. His opening his doors to us into his most private space filled with those incredible treasures Shelle mentioned, is just the cherry on top. No comparison to any other studio out there .

That was great your husband was fine finding himself things to keep busy. We have had many a travel companion and they did wonderfully as "scouts" finding places to recommend and later be explored by the rest of us, or just suit their interests including antique and rare book collectors! I loved it every time I'd find a used book store.... I could spend hours in there! But I digress....

Every Moo-stake is a stepping stone to a new path and better result as we practice. Remember Lucio has been doing these figures over 30 years! We all start somewhere, and excel to the beat of our own drum. Let the sounds of Murano lure you there with us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.