View Single Post
Old 2016-03-30, 6:50pm
Marcia Seever

Thumbs up Thank you De Anza Art Glass Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
Disclaimer: Not currently an active flameworker, but my current burners are a mini-CC and a Hellcat. What do you use your Hellcat for?

1) I have heard that the knobs on Carlisle burners get hot if you use too small of a flame or run the flame so it starts too close to the face of the burner. I'm not sure I know what you mean by the flame starting too close to the face of the burner. I normally use a neutral flame with candles that run around 1/2" long.

2) I would recommend trying out your mini-CC with the higher capacity concentrator. First, you are used to using the mini-CC and second, the full capacity of the mini-CC is rated at about 7 lpm. Thank you for the response. I think I will try the 10 lpm oxy con with my mini cc first. I currently run propane at 7 lpm and my oxy con will only put out around 4. (going by the little ball gauge on the front of the oxy con) Should I have a gauge on the oxygen?

3) I have not heard of any modification that is necessary to use a concentrator previously rated for medical use in order to use it for lampworking. The only modification I can think of is how to connect your oxygen concentrator to your burner, and it is either removing the hose barb for tubing if you want to use a welding hose, or attaching an adapter to go from the barb to a threaded fitting.

4) From what I have heard, the mini-CC has more radiant heat than most other equivalently sized burners. Perhaps your problem will go away if you are using flames that are not limited by your nominal 5 lpm oxygen generator. Depending on the oxygen concentrator, you may have been operating with reduced oxygen concentration at your maximum flow rate.
That sounds right. What should my oxygen rate be with propane at 7?