View Single Post
Old 2006-11-23, 5:04pm
Floral Obsessed

If you're comfortably with off-mandrel work, you can make one that way too. This was my 2nd try and I'm still working on my o/m skillz, so probably just about anyone can do this!

1 - Make a gather on the end of a white cane. Use mashers to squish it into a lollipop - as thin as possible!
Add a stripe of yellow stringer in the middle of the lollipop, closer to the base of the cane.
2 - Gently heat the edges of the lollipop to soft-but-not-liquid. Roll the edges gently to overlap at the base of the white cane.
3 - Take a second , shorter white rod with a melted tip to be your punty. Heat the end and also soften the end of your rolled-lollipop. Fuse on the punty (don't bother cold-fusing, since you'll be making a pointed end anyway so it's easier to just flame cut) and pull out a nice, even point. Keep the punty attached at the end for a handle!
4 - Soften a 1/2" of rod from base of the calla-lily upwards. Remove it from the flame and pull it gently into a thick stringer.
5 - Use the rod to pull it smoothly into a loop and stick it to the back of the lily near the top. Flame cut the loop off. You can heat and shape the remaining mini-blob but mostly leave it alone! It'll be at the back and it's easy to mess up your loop. Also see Mary Moth's off-mandrel loop tutorial for a different approach.
6 - Flash the whole lily in the flame to warm it (but don't soften it). At the same time, warm a pair of long-nosed pliers or long tweezers in the back of the flame. Grab the lily in a flat area, flame cut the punty off (quickly) and melt the point so it's pointy-but-not-sharp. Pop it in the kiln very quickly.

I have a funkadelic version to show. White would be much easier.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons