View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 10:44am
I speak Murrini!

Hi There!

Just my input - and bear in mind I'm using a kiln intended for PMC...I use the "programable" cycle to batch anneal my 104 stuff. Also, I work itty-bitty, tiny stuff...so I have to be careful with the heat level so as not to "slump" stuff while annnealling:

1 hour ramp up to 895F
1 hour hold at 895F
ramp down to 700F
15 min hold at 700F
Slow (overnight) cool down to room temp (this usually takes at least 3-5 hours)

I know this seems low, but I've had no problems with instability in the beads (use mostly Moretti)...my Big Hole Beads (which I am getting ready to launch on Etsy, my website, and do a distribution of at my local BIG bead store!) have been put through a "test" of sorts...I've been wearing them on a cable necklace, 24/7 for nearly 2 months...in the tub, to bed, etc. just to make sure they are good and solid - so far, no problems! I've even dropped a couple of them on the cement garage floor and they still didn't crack.

An aside note here - I've noticed that even though my program indicates the top temperature to be no more than 895F, I've seen the "thermostat" (digital) indicate fluctuations, even for a few minutes at a time, up to 915F. This contributes to my choice to keep it on the "low" side in the settings - I'm sure from the thermo indications that it's has small "spikes" that go above what I've programmed it for.

Hope this helps.
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro