View Single Post
Old 2013-04-11, 9:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikosun View Post
I am currently amassing supplies to upgrade to a propane/oxygen system. I would like to use an oxygen concentrator to avoid dealing with tanked oxygen, and decided to purchase an M15 from unlimited oxygen.
If you are concerned about performance, and it sounds like you are, re consider using tanked Oxy. The difference between tanked and medical concentrators if you are planning to work with Boro is quite significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikosun View Post

My question is - do you think a jump from Hothead to Lynx is too big, and are there any cons to working too hot too soon? I am sure there will be a steep learning curve. It seems that the Lynx especially has such a large variety of flame characteristics that will take a while to master. But my rationale is if I upgrade to a Minor or Mini CC, then a few years later want to upgrade to the Lynx anyway, it might be better in the long run to just learn on the Lynx from the start.

One other question I had is regarding the Lynx's focused flame. I like the option of having a pinpoint flame for detailed work. But it seems like the one thing that some people dislike about the Lynx is that it lacks a bushy flame for insurance heat to the rest of the bead. Have people who have been using the Lynx found this to be a problem at all? Or is it ok once you've mastered the dynamics of the flame?
No. You are not getting too much heat with the Lynx. The Lynx is a relatively small torch compared to what a lot of us use. It is capable of a wide range of flame types and chemistry and if you want to work small it does that no problem. I started on the Lynx. Shouldnt be an issue at all. Also, the Lynx is quite capable of soft bushy flames at least the equal of the other torches you mentioned. I think this myth is propagated on forums by those who dont really know how to use their triple mixes.