View Single Post
Old 2013-04-11, 9:39am
CatTickler Extraordinaire

If you go the Lynx route, you will definitely need another oxygen concentrator. The minimum to work Boro for a GTT torch would be the Cricket, but for just a little more, the Bobcat can melt Boro faster. I work boro on a Bobcat with an M15, and it works great. At times I would like more oxygen to get a bigger flame that I know the torch is capable of, but would need tanked for that. I have tried the much bigger Carlisle CC torch at a class, and loved the ability to get a bigger flame when I wanted to melt in large amounts, but at least 50% of the time was spent working detail with the inner flame only.

A con for working too hot too soon in that you may not develop tight heat control, which is one of the biggest skills to know in this art. Having a hotter torch allows you to skip ahead with technique, but it is something that would need to come back to, to really learn. The bushy flame is not as neccesary with Boro, it is soooooo much more forgiving than soft glass is.

My next step in oxygen will be a Homefill setup, where you can easily and safely fill tanks yourself. There are many threads on it in this forum on how to do that, and it ends up being the best option for Boro, and allows freedom to upgrade torch-wise without worrying about not having enough oxygen to feed it.

All GTT's have a very high resale value, because of the unknown wait time it may take to get your order from them. I would go Bobcat until you have a homefilll setup and felt the need for a larger flame (1-3 years) and sell it after you got a Lynx if at that time it is still the best option for you. I'll be looking for a 15-20 year old Carlisle CC once I have unlimited oxygen, they can be picked up for $500-$800, and will last forever. (Not as good for soft glass though).

Have you ever melted boro before?