Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-18, 9:30pm
da General

I wasn't going to post in this thread but after reading what transpired so far, I feel that I must share my experience with Devardi ONCE again. I have already been questioned, slammed, insulted by the usual suspects before, thus will not be getting into this again in this thread. I only post because I want to address the OP that Devardi is NOT compatible with many silver glass, based on my experience.

The glass is INCONSISTENT! Pure and simple. If you want to use it, ask yourself these questions first:

• How much your time is worth?
Mine is worth too much to be wasted on testing if this cheap glass is compatible with the glass I normally use. Not just EVERY batch but test every color for this cheap glass is INCONSISTENT!

• How much does your reputation mean to you?
Mine is too important. I cannot have a customer with a bead of mine made with this cheap glass and have it cracked days, weeks, months later. Most of my large beads made with Devardi cracked days/weeks later.

• How much are you willing to put up with shattering, scummy, bubbly glass?
Yes, some hand pulled and/or odd lot from Effetre, Vetrofond and other established companies do have similar issues. That's why I don't use those with few exception (I am willing to put up with Red Roof Tile coz I love the color) . . . but Devardi is INCONSISTENT and the sampler I tried, more than HALF of the colors were shattering, scummy, bubbly - that's too high a percentage. Imagine if 60% of all the Effetre colors were shattering, scummy and bubbly, they wouldn't be in business now.

• Do you use Silver Glass?
95% of my beads contain silver glass and Devardi is NOT compatible with silver glass (some people may have a different experience for this glass is INCONSISTENT!) - it's NOT worth wasting $60-100/lb silver glass by using them with this cheap Devardi glass. You may get away with using Devardi with silver glass as surface decoration if you keep your beads small.

---------------------

I got a sampler and small bundle of Black Metallic. Most of my larger beads cracked with spider web fractures all over. I was going to recycle the glass but a colleague who had some Devardi and wasn't selling her beads wanted them.

Please do not bother to ask about annealing schedule for anyone who has been lampworking for sometime can recognize incompatibility issues and KNOW that NO annealing schedule is going to fix that. Incidentally, working the glass COOL also doesn't fix incompatibility issues. . . otherwise everyone on a HotHead can mix COEs to his/her little heart's content.

Crumbling Devardi glass with various silver glass from TAG, Double Helix and Precision - broke in half about a week later with fractures all over. Again red lines were added to indicate cracks.

Name:  _MG_2418sm2.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  61.6 KB

This was simply Diamond Clear (an old batch that was compatible with all other COE 104 glass!) stringer on Metallic Black. Cracked where Diamond Clear was on top of Metallic Black.

Name:  _MG_2454sm.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  24.7 KB

This was my favorite (until it crumbled after a couple of weeks - and broke in half - added red lines to show the spider web fractures) - the semi opaque colors. I loved the Semi Opaque Marine, yet it's also the glass that gave me the most problem with shattering. This one was made with Semi Opaque Marine, Semi Opaque White (I think it's white but it's more a pale blue), Opaque Violet and Double Helix Terranova 2. Bead is 60mm long.

Name:  _MG_2456sm.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  26.2 KB

These are the ONLY beads that didn't crack - small spacer size with surface decoration with silver glass.

Yet most of the transparent colors I tried were bubbly and scummy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|