View Single Post
Old 2017-05-08, 11:30am
funny mofo

I once had this brilliant idea to make a glass candy dish out of boro sheet glass. You know, the kind of idea you get after you've taken one class and don't really know anything... I even drew a cross-section diagram. The owner of the studio said that what I wanted to do was really a fusing application, but I knew nothing about fusing. I bought a sheet of boro float... I couldn't cut it. I went to the glass shop in town; the guy at the counter had never heard of boro glass and wanted $10 per cut. I went to the tile place next door, the woman laughed at the guy at the glass shop and said he was an idiot, but she couldn't help me cut it either. I finally found someone to cut it. They couldn't cut the pieces straight because boro is hard to cut with regular tools. I heated all of the pieces in the kiln to get them up to at least 1060 before I started hitting them with the flame, but still, all of the pieces cracked.

There's a lot more to the story of the candy dish that wasn't, but my recommendation on boro float glass is don't. It's not worth the expense or the effort, and Bullseye exists.