View Single Post
Old 2017-01-04, 10:12pm
Phill

I would like the torch bench on the back wall near the door into the house.

I think you should vent it through the roof and bring in your make up air through the wall right at your bench level.

That will give you the chance to have conditioned air in the work area ( heated or cooled ) and minimize how much conditioned air goes out the vent system.

As for the dust control those room air filters will do a lot to reduce the "fog" of particles wood working power tools create but you are still going to be breathing that stuff in while you wait for the room filters to catch up.

The better bet is to over size a vacuum system to the power tools and put the blower system out side in a shed if you can.

I would not concern myself over much about dust on your glass.
Enclose you glass storage with plastic sheeting if you feel the need but simply dusting your glass before starting should be good enough.
Wood dust burns around 450 degrees and glass doesn't begin to melt until you get to 1300 at least.

The smutz you want to be concerned with glass is oil from manufacturing and finger prints and such and the normal cleaning you should do with lampwork glass will take care of that.

Insurance might well be an issue but as it is an attached garage already with lawn mowers and gas cans and other normal stuff is shouldn't be a real problem.

A lampwork torch is not any more dangerous than a stove cooking pasta or a wood burning fireplace as long as normal precautions are taken.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-01-04 at 10:28pm.