View Single Post
Old 2010-04-02, 11:22pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
If you read Susan's blog post she explains a bit more what she means. She isn't against presses, she just thinks beads that aren't all perfectly matching are more in line with the handmade artisan bead concept. She mentions perfectly matching little spacer beads. I tend to agree that a set of 8 perfectly matched lampwork spacer beads seems like a waste when what I think is cool about them is the fact you can tell they are handmade.
Handmade? You think perfectly matched can't be indicative of hand made?
You agree that perfectly matched spacer beads are a waste?

Handmade artisan bead concept??? True Artistic concepts do not box in artists. Who says beads can't match...perfectly.... and not appear handmade? A hand made bead means it comes from a rod of glass melted in a flame by you. Maybe you need to go to Italy and see what the masters use to make beads. Tools are all over the work benches..yes..even PRESSES... and every one of their little petal flowers they use in their beautiful mirrors are pressed..exactly the same except for colors and sometimes the whole art piece is made out of exactly the same pressed glass.

You think it is cool that to have beads LOOK handmade they have to have a visual difference.? That is your take on what is handmade and certainly not mine by any means. But please do not tell other lampworkers they have wasted their time by making perfectly matched bead sets.

Making matching beads is one of the hardest things to do in lampworking besides encasing. It takes great skill and talent and is an artform in itself.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-02 at 11:25pm.