Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 1:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Gosh, I guess that of all the glass in the world that lampworkers use somehow ONLY Devardi glass gets it's COE changed when flameworked. Huh, that is amazing.

It's not my reasoning - it's the collective reasoning of the experience of many lampworkers.

I don't give a flying fuck if half the lampworkers in the world want to use Devardi. I have not made a single negative comment about the glass or the people selling it in this thread - my only comments have been related to a completely asinine assertion that overheating the glass in the flame causes cracking. It's real convenient to be able to blame something that no one can prove every time someone posts about their beads cracking.

If you really expect people to believe that BS, you should be able to supply the temp at which this happens. Since you seem to believe that the information on the Devardi site is coming from a glass chemist, surely this brilliant person would be able to provide that info, huh?

I won't hold my breath waiting.
From Bullseye's site:

"Certain glasses – reds, yellows and oranges in particular – have a tendency to shift their internal chemistry when fired for extended times, more than once, or to temperatures higher than a typical full fuse (1450 – 1500F). They may, under these conditions, become incompatible. With these glasses, the test is therefore performed (on the same chip) three times."

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/weblog/...se-of-the-fun/

I'd think we could use the temperature range as a cause for incompatibility, since they do. It's my understanding that flowing glass is in that range.

I'm not saying I go for the cool glass working prevents cracking theory, as I haven't experienced it, but if BE says it, doesn't it make it a possibility?

And they say over and over again that COE and compatibility aren't as simple as matching the numbers.