View Single Post
Old 2011-08-21, 11:09am

Thank you all! I do think the side cauls are macrame or a form of netting called french knot. I was wondering how they were keeping their shape but cornstarch, or starch can do it. It looks like the side netting is attached to circular frames of twisted wire which make up the side cauls somehow. Since I see pearls, I wonder if the netting is attached to the side caul frame using the finer pearl wire (wonder where I can find pearl wire or how to make pearl wire). I'm wondering how the side caul frame is attached to the main circlet. Maybe that is more wire as well?

I did buy a simplicity pattern and a Mccall's pattern for medieval hats and though they look similar to the picture, they are not quite what I'm looking for. I think the sheen of the wire and the pearls and gold netting is just so pretty.

Is it easy to twist square wire or make flat wire like in the picture? What kind of wire is it (half-hard etc....) and what gauge(s) would I need?

At this point I'd even be willing to follow a tutorial for a bracelet as long as it could go around my head and make side cauls that could be attached to the main circlet as well! If I could just find a way to make a flat circlet and side cauls that are attached even, I could decorate it with filigree pieces etc.... Hard to know where to begin when it's wire.

Thanks again!