View Single Post
Old 2008-10-24, 12:34pm
just another tool fool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Thank you so much! I have never worked on a HH, but I have seen some amazing sculptural work done on them (think Nikki!). As for not having a kiln... I know that ever thing I tried to do before I had a kiln, other than small beads, cracked... So I really don't think so. I'm sorry.

Is there anyone here that has had any luck sculpting without a kiln?
Hey loco!

Kay did sculptural stuff that she "garaged" in a crock pot of vermiculite set on high to cool the beads. It was batch annealed at some point later. Her stuff was nowhere near as big as yours, but we rarely had any breakage. I think the key was flame annealing the pieces for some time, instead of pulling them out of the hottest part of the flame, looking for a couple of seconds, then sticking them in the crock pot. Also, our kiln ramp time was long and so was the soak time, so that may have had something to do with it. Your dragons are pretty huge, though, so I'm not sure how this would work here...maybe if someone made really small beads they could pull it off...

Great tut, by the way!! I haven't given it a shot yet, but hope to this weekend!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click banner for my Etsy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.