View Single Post
Old 2008-02-27, 7:29am

Given the size of the work we do, I think that a slow drop through the strain point, like yours, is just as effective as a strain soak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
All this talk about strain point has me curious about something. Here is my schedule:

garage @ 960 then anneal @ 960 for 1.5 hours, sometimes 2 (depending on the size)
ramp down to 750 @ 50 degrees per hour from 960*
ramp down 100 degrees per hour to 500 degrees
shut off

*I always thought that a conservative ramp down through the strain point (mine takes 4.2 hours for the drop from 960 to 750) would be just as effective as the recommended 10 minute soak AT the strain point. I've had a very good track record when it comes to breakage (a few incompatibility crazes and beads that were already doomed going in), but to be extra safe, should I be focusing more on soaking at the exact strain point with my schedule?

Great info, btw!

Sarah

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.