View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 6:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
We can agree to disagree. I really dont know who is telling you that you shouldnt anneal ornaments. In my opinion that is certainly bad advice.
He didn't say that. He clearly specified that you shouldn't anneal sealed ornaments. This is true in most cases.
In this particular case of sealed lichen pendants it's not only impractical, but detrimental to anneal after adding the loop. If you know what you're doing, it's not a problem and you can get away with a lot of things. A softer flame when sealing, proper preparation, slow cooling under a fiber blanket, using thin walled glass all go a looooong way to minimising any issues which may pop up otherwiser were you to introduce a steep thermal gradient to thick-walled glass tubing which is consequently air cooled.
I had a job for many years, back in the 90s; sealed pendants containing a holistic essence for a naturopathic practice. Never had any issues or returns due to cracking or "mysterious" breakage. I clearly explained any issues that may arise from not being able to anneal and none of those issues ever came to pass (I made thousands of units).
I also routinely seal plasma sculptures without annealing in a kiln afterwards. Kiln annealing in this case is definitely not an option, the vessels are under deep vacuum and would slowly collapse, crack or implode at annealing temperatures. It's all in the setup and the execution.
It helps if you know how to do it right!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2012-07-21 at 6:15pm.