View Single Post
Old 2016-02-12, 6:31pm
addicted to dichro

Welcome!

I don't have any feedback for working up to a bigger torch as I tried that and failed. I think there is a quite a learning curve when you change torches and it can be really hard to switch when you have years of experience on the same torch. I just like my hothead too much and am happy with making small beads and soft glass so the switch just wasn't worth it. If working with boro on a big torch is really where you know you want to end up I'd work towards getting that setup as soon as you can once you've got the bare basics down and know the investment is the right thing for you. But even if you can't make it happen right away you are still learning for sure with soft glass on a hothead.

Good ventilation is still very important on a hothead. I've heard some say that hotheads are even worse then oxygen/propane torches but I'm not sure. Consider it just as bad though. Asides from the gases produced from the torch flame a lot of the concern comes from the fact that you are melting glass and the different metals used to color the glass itself being released into the air.

Bulk propane is normally not "dirty", especially if you run your hothead with a regulator. A lot of the so called "dirty" propane issues are caused by having too much pressure. In very cold weather it usually isn't an issue at all because the pressure increases the higher the temperature outside. Because propane is so cheap and so available it's definitely worth a try before looking into other fuels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.