View Single Post
Old 2005-10-25, 8:53am
Floral Obsessed

Congratulations on your new set-up, Janine! That must be exciting. Terry and Barbara, that's so cool that you were able to do the work yourself! I don't have any experience with pipefitting, and in Winnipeg you're not allowed to touch a gas line without a license anyway. The new installment of my studio saga is that my Solaris 505 oxycon arrived last week and my Piranha arrived yesterday, so that gas line is definitely the next step, although I am SO broke now...

Talking to various gas fitters here, I've learned that $200 of my $400 charge will be to cover a "Special Appliance Permit" from the city because lampwork torches aren't covered by any normal standards. And everyone tells me that I should just go with the *one* local pipefitter who has ever done this before. So much for shopping around, but at least now I know that I'm not just paying inexplicably high labour costs... I'll HAVE to use B-fittings on the torch (check! - special order from Bethlehem) and heavy-duty black hose instead of the green and red T-rated hose... Sounds like Winnipeg is one of the more annoying places to do this. I guess I was kind of hoping for more Tales of Frustration so that I'd feel better. Oh well, I'm getting there and the new torch sure is shiny!!!! I just hope that everything works after all this... -Heather