View Single Post
Old 2009-01-14, 3:37pm

Default I have tried Devardi glass!

Hello, I contacted them and bought an assortment. It arrived this morning and I tried app. twenty-four colors. It is a clean glass, with very few bubbles. I am a newbie, only been lampworking for app. a year, but I know what works and what does not. I used a Minor and two concentrators.
Contrary to the description on eBay, this glass is a little stiffer than Moretti but not as stiff as Bullseye. I like this because I can make and control larger discs before melting a bead down and I got excellent puckers at the mandrel. There was no bubbling or foaming, as was described. I introduced or flashed the rods carefully, because of her description on eBay, but most of the glass was not shocky. I also did this, because it was cold this morning and I did not heat the rods. Two of the semi-opals shattered, only 1/8" to 1/4" off the rod. That could have been me, not the rod. One opal, red, shattered app. 1/8". Out of twenty-four colors, that was great.
I did not want to start the kiln, so I put these in vermiculate. None cracked.
I have not annealed them yet.
The colors are pretty much - what you see is what you get. The red is beautiful, almost like the copper red Chinese pottery glaze. I liked all the rods marked semi-opaque. The opaque olive has streaks of dark brown.
If you like the colors, try an assortment. You will not have to mortage the studio to see if you like them. I would say, go for it, but I have not annealed yet.
I also tried their bead release. It is thin, but it flamed dried great and I removed a large bead and just wiped the mandrel clean. I need to do much more testing before ordering more. I do think it has a lot of graphite. It is a smooth release.
I will post after I anneal these beads.
Later, Jim