View Single Post
Old 2005-12-16, 12:06pm
Floral Obsessed

Default Approved!

Hi everybody - my final NG update is that I'm approved! The line got put in over 2 weeks ago and the inspector just left. Here's what we needed in Manitoba:

A CSA approved PADLOCKABLE on/off valve on the black pipe. We actually have a second on/off valve on the line, so if we ever close down our studio it'll be *really* off. Neither have handles so we use C-wrenches to open and close them - we leave the wrenches on when we're working and take them off when they're closed. All new NG pipes were labelled as such and securely fastened to the joists.

A CSA-approved black gas hose. Apparently the normal red ones won't do the trick in Manitoba.

All hoses needed to be attached with b-fittings. No barb and hoseclamps allowed. We knew this in advance and had Bethlehem set up our torch that way when we ordered it.

The torch itself is not CSA approved - I don't think any lampworking torches are. We were able to get around this by calculating that at 1/4lb pressure, the torch won't be producing more than 1000 BTUs, so it was exempt.

All combustible materials muct be at least 6" away from sources of heat. My torch was positioned correctly and I explained that my eventual plan is to re-insulate and cover all surfaces with sheetrock. They liked that the torch would be bolted down.

I didn't need combustion air for my torch, but they were happy with the exhaust and the make-up air. (Though I'm still working on baffles and stuff). They suggested a CO detector (check - just need to install it) by the sleeping area and another in the work area.

The tested for leaks three ways - pressure test, bubble solution test (on installation) and with an electronic gas detector device (inspector). The inspector was curious about the glass and actually asked for a quick demo!

So that's that! And it actually cost less than I'd been expecting. I'll post pictures on Saturday when the baffles look less embarassing.

Hope this helps other Manitobans make studios in the future! Cheers - Heather

(and the roofers dropped off shingles today, too, so maybe we'll have a non-leaking roof and be able to insulate the attic before spring!!!!!)

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2005-12-16 at 12:09pm.