View Single Post
Old 2016-12-29, 5:55pm
Phill

You might want to pass on these.

Propane causes the rubber in acetylene hoses to melt and get gummy and pretty much disintegrate and that fouls up the inside of your torch before the hoses fail outright.

Regulators have rubber like diaphragms inside them and these get brittle with age and can also have the same disintegration issues.

As for the difference in $$$ it really is still the classic case of getting what you pay for.

Good high quality regulators will serve you for a few decades, the less expensive ones for a few years.

Make sure the hoses you get are rated "type T" so they can handle the propane chemistry.

That said, I used a new welders torch setup for my first three dozen times melting glass on propane and oxygen tanks.

I now use an oxy con and house hold natural gas and keep my welders kit in the garage for metal working.

If you can get that whole rig for $20 I would say go for it but I would not plan on using it for melting glass more than a dozen times.

It's an inexpensive stop gap while you hunt for better but don't use it often or for very long.

If you don't really have a need for owning a welder your $20 might be better spent elsewhere.

ETA: Do look for a regulator that has the word propane or propylene and avoid ones that say "for Acetylene only"

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-12-29 at 5:58pm.