View Single Post
Old 2008-04-03, 9:00am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
But I'm fickle. I like trying as many different products out there as I can find. Some are dirt cheap. Some are amazingly expensive. On a piece-by-piece basis, I know that I use about 6" of glass (average diameter cane) in a standard vessel. My standard vessels are priced at $50 each, which I think is pretty reasonable. I know I can get about 13 vessels out of one pound of glass, including typical waste. That's $650 of standard product out of one pound of glass. Whether that glass costs me $8/lb or $100/lb, there's still plenty of room to make a profit.
Bingo! I often like the Odd Lots because they work really well with silver and enamels, my two main bead ingredients! Also, the colors are fantastic!

If I spend $30 for a 1/4# of glass (about 5-6 rods) and I make $30 on ONE focal made from the glass - the glass is then paid for and I still have enough glass left to make about 12 focals - let's say avg price $25.00 ea... I have the potential to make $300 for $30.

And that's the main reason why I don't make sets. Sets use a lot of glass and the profit margin is crap for me. I do much better with one focal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.