View Single Post
Old 2012-07-19, 6:12am

Default Boro capsules of organic material, non-annealed jewelry - thoughts?

I know kiln-annealing is industry standard, and I typically anneal all my pieces. However, I have recently been making some boro pieces that, as they are currently designed, can not be annealed. They contain organic materials, like moss and lichen, sealed inside hollow capsules. (see attached pics)

And I am just in love with them, but I am worried about their durability, mainly the joint at the ring, which is also where I seal up the capsule. I haven't had the courage to try to drop them on the floor yet to check, but I have given them to friends with no bad results - even after being dropped!

But I am curious what you all think. (I am awaiting the "anneal or die" wrist-slap!)

Anyone have experience with these types of capsule pieces as jewelry? If you drop a piece on the floor, anything would break, annealed or not, right? Or am I just fooling myself?

Is it worth a cool design and a disclaimer - "f.y.i. these aren't annealed" if I sell these pieces, and the customer knows what they are getting and know to be careful with them, or is it just a big bad no-no?

I am considering just changing the design so that I can anneal the piece empty, with the bottom open and ring pre-attached, and then when it's cold inserting the organics into the bottom and then sealing it up with the torch, so only the bottom contains stress. This would make the piece more stable, but I wouldn't get that nice perfect rounded bottom shape. ...Sigh.

Last edited by robotronik; 2012-07-19 at 6:16am.