View Single Post
Old 2007-10-02, 8:35pm
Just me

Default Taramag's no fail stripes bead

Hi all,
I started a thread in the bathroom out of frustration and disgust over stripe beads. Tara (taramag) posted a great how to with her no fail method and I didn't want it to be flushed forever, especially after she was so nice to have taken the time to write it all out for us. So I am copying and pasting that post here for everyone else who has about gone bald trying to make these most frustrating beads.

I am going to try it out tomorrow and will post my attempts here as well.

Thanks again Tara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Here's how you do it - the NO-FAIL METHOD!!

Make a small, very thin disc bead. I'm talking 2 wraps around the mandrel, and the bead should only be about 2-3mm wide. (If you can't work on a base that small, that's ok. Add more clear but keep the bead in the thin disk shape. Don't go wider.)

Now, place your dots as wide as or almost as wide as the disk. Don't leave them raised - I've seen a tut like that and it's probably more difficult. Melt them in almost all the way. Just so you know, you can melt them flat, but may have issues later depending on your experience and heat-control.

Ok, now get a rod a bit wider than your bead... 5-6mm would be good. Wrap the clear around the center of your disk twice (or 3 times if you prefer). Flash in the flame but don't melt yet. Make another smaller wrap of clear on each side of the disk, touching the clear that's already on there ONLY. In other words, wrap clear on clear on the left, and then again on the right. Do not touch the base bead.

Now you're going to melt the clear but pay attention - first melt the clear on 1 side just a bit... just so it's starting to melt into the clear in the center. Don't go too far or your bead will get too hot. Do the same for the other side. You don't have to melt it all the way.

Now, holding the bead straight and in the center, begin to melt only the clear in the flame, either by holding it above or below the flame. (you could let it cool a bit before this step - again, depends on your heat-control). Keep rotating slowly, heating and melting just the clear. If your base is getting too hot, stop and let it cool and then continue. You'll begin to see the dots spread.

Once it's mostly melted down, you can either put the whole bead in the flame to finish the melting and round it out, or let it cool and then do this. This part depends on heat-control so you decide. You don't want to get everything too hot or your stripes will move. Viola! A striped bead!!!

With this method, your clear will go all the way to the holes on both sides. Nothing should be sticking out. You could also try it without the wraps on the sides. Be sure to add more than 1 layer of clear to the center, at least 3. The trick is to make a thin disk then encase with a wider rod that completely covers the bead and then some.

If for some reason your clear doesn't go to the hole on one side, then add a small wrap of clear on that side touching the clear ONLY. Aim the flame at the wrap and that side of the bead. Don't melt it in the center and don't get the base hot, just the wrap. Next time, be sure to put the encasing on evenly and more importantly, melt it down evenly. That seems to be the issue when you have base showing on 1 side but not the other.

So, does this all make sense? Did I do a good job explaining it? Hope so. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.