View Single Post
Old 2009-01-21, 12:46pm

Default Personal Conclusions-Devardi Glass

My initial attempts to report my conclusions regarding the properties of Devardi glass, I believe, were overlooked because of the politics on the board. I do not want to revisit there but I thought this might be helpful.
I, too, did not understand the descriptions of the working properties of Devardi glass posted on the eBay auctions. I melted rods and found the viscoscity to be slightly different than Moretti/Effetre. It was a little stiffer than Moretti. Viscoscity can vary somewhat and still be within the same COE range.
I am not speaking for the owners of Devardi glass, I want to make that clear, but I think they tried to cover all their bases when describing the working properties of this glass and I think, quiet poorly. They are new to lampworking, as I am, and some of what was included in the eBay auctions, could have been repeating what was told them, I don't know.
I did not have to use different temperatures or adjust my gas to work with Devardi Glass. I use a Minor and Mini CC. I do not know what torches they tested the glass on. I have not seen the "Tips and Tricks" mentioned in the auction. It could address this. I think they mentioned foam and bubbles. I only found bubbles in one green transparent rod. It did foam a little at the end of the rod.
Some of the Devardi glass does hold color better than others. I could go into the elements used to obtain this property, but it is not needed now.
Questions have been asked about lead. I do not want to get into a chemistry lesson, as I am not qualified, but I hope this is helpful: Lead melts at 621 degrees F. and vaporizes (melts) at 1100 degrees F. It is not a stable flux for soda/lime glass we use, at the temperatures we obtain. Satake does have a lead rod, but one has to use a low temp. or Japanese torch to work with it. I have not used Satake, but hope to try it. When lead is present in glass, it forms a series of oxides. The principal ones being yellow,, reddish brown, orange, and black. These used to be very useful in very low temp pottery glazes. My wife claims I inhaled too much lead years ago mixing these glazes. Since lead is not a stable flux, I doubt you will find it in much glass used in lampworking today. More obtainable, and possibly cheaper alternative materials are: soda, potash, lime, magnesia and barium oxide.
I know arsenic was used in the manufacturing of stained glass. I have not seen the unmistakable brilliant reds, that blending arsnic and selenium produces, in many years. If it could be made into a lampworking rod, it would be "to die for" and we probably would.
There are questions concerning compatibility with other glass. There is another test. It can vary a little from color to color. We have used it when formulating stained glass. It is not the end-all test, but it is quick:
Two glasses can be pulled at the same time, app. 22"-24". If they are compatable, (shrink at the same rate), the threads will remain straight. If one thread bends more than 1/4", they are on the borderline of not being compatable. The straighter glass will have a higher COE. One can also use the polarized sheets or lens on their beads.
I don't think annealing has been discussed. I used the Moretti schedule with no cracks in beads whatsoever. I garaged annealed and batch annealed.
I will be testing all the beads with the polarized sheets.
I, for one, would like to thank Daniel and Natasha for putting up with me, picking their brain, and for offering this glass at the price they have. I hope they are very successful in this business. Yes, I will work with this glass and get a few answers for myself, if you do not have all the answers yet. I know, as you grow, you will. I could ask you to test each and every rod, have lab tests run for chemical properties, and to stand on your head, but no, I have tested the glass, and I am eagerly awaiting the next shippment. More of the questions, I think will be answered when they place their next order and talk more with the supplier. I love their approach to selling - volume and keep the price low. Other resellers of lampworking rods would have priced this hand pulled glass through the roof. Thank you for putting up with us and others, as i know from our emails you are shipping twenty-five and thirty lbs. of glass at a time. I will buy a lot of this glass, because I know you will have to raise your prices, if you stay in this competive market. I know you are answering all the questions from LE you can, but if you plan to stay on this board, beware, and have a tough skin. You will never be able to answer enough or all the questions of some on here. It would be a shame if this thread is highjacked by some on here that are loyal to and test for their suppliers. I would be extremely careful and read between the lines of some posts and questions.
I will not be back on the board because of the politics here. I said this in my last post, but I thought the above would be helpful to some. Some are beyond helping or do not want to be helped.

Best Regards, Jim

PS: I would like to thank the party that took the time to call our place of business to verify our idenity and know that we are located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest, Virginia.