View Single Post
Old 2014-09-20, 7:11am
Now part of the Dark Side

For that torch I'd say your oxy comsumption is good. The propany regulator (high pressure gauge) will always read the same pressure (it will vary depending on temperature) until your propane is almost gone. Propane is a liquid, at tank pressure, hence the abbreviation LPG for Liquified Propane Gas. It takes 5 oxygen molecules (O2) , that's 10 oxygen atoms, to fully combust one propane molecule, more if you run an oxidizing flame. One 20 pound propane tank contains 750 cubic feet of propane, doing the math I'd say, again, you are right on track.

My first torch was/is a Nortel Red Rocket, it consumed more oxy thay the Red Max but in the same ball park. My Bethlehem Bravo is much more efficient, the Bethlehem Champion is to, but it has a bigger flame so uses more.

Not much more I can say, I don't think you have an oxy leak. If you want to be sure mix up a drop of dis detergent in a cup of water, swab or brush it on your connections and look for bubbles. If you have bubbles tighten that connection. Do not use teflon tape, the connections are brass on brass and designed to seal without aide.