View Single Post
Old 2015-02-08, 11:32am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I purchased a kiln thermometer (pyrometer - I had to google it to find the word) from Malcolm a couple of years ago and it showed that my kiln was running approximately 100 degrees hotter than what was displayed. I had always felt it was too hot because of slumping and over-striking that was going on. My kiln reads 850 and it's actually at 925 for annealing.
Yes, and if Ravenesque's kiln were running cooler - say 100 degrees - then annealing at 925 would in fact be 825 which is lower than the 840 strain point of Effetre, thus the cracking.

That's why I always advice my students to lower the annealing temp 10 degrees at a time and no lower than 920 if they have trouble retaining the silver glass effects in the kiln. And if it's still not working, then get a pyrometer to make sure the kiln temp is in fact accurate especially if they have cracking issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2015-02-08 at 11:35am.