View Single Post
Old 2022-03-23, 10:16am

Default Torch upgrade Champion vs Mirage

Hey everyone, I want to get some more perspective on the GTT Mirage vs a Bethlehem Champion before I make my purchase.

I had my heart set on a Mirage, but I can get the champion for about $400 less (Canadian).

So I am now ready to buy either one, but can't make up my mind.

I am moving up from a redmax, I have no plans to work soft glass, Boro only. I want to focus on functional hollow stuff mostly, recyclers, rigs and pipes. With some occasional marbles, sculptures and pendants. I also enjoy fuming and plan to incorporate it into a lot of future work.

From what I can find on O2 consumption, full flame, the champion requires 40 LPM, while the Mirage states 26 LPM. Can anyone comment from experience if that is correct? I've read forums where people claim the champion is more O2 efficient, so I'm not sure what to believe.

It also seems that the center fire of the mirage is preferred by most over the champion.

I also gather that the GTT has a more driving heat and will heat glass quicker than the champion. Does this mean it's also more difficult to get an even heat base with the GTT?

My other concern is the durability and cleaning of the two which the champion seems to be the winner, I'd love to hear thoughts on this as well!

Thank in advance all ✌️