View Single Post
Old 2008-04-06, 1:28pm

I would like to start out by saying that whenever I challenge another’s opinion, I am humble. I take the approach of "I think I am right, but maybe I am wrong". There is the disclaimer. Now keep that in mind as you read
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hate the expense, and I have thought the same thing as I stand by and watch suppliers just DUMP their stock and hurt the entire glass market. Believe me I sit back every year after spending around 10,000.00 dollars on glass every 365 days... No joke.

Dennis, just interjecting some thoughts here regarding glass that is an artisan by product or hand batched glass created by glassblowers such as specialty colors, traditional handmade pattern cane, veiled glass, hand batched silver glass, Trautmans amazing blizzards and Elvis reds that we just love.... and would dearly miss if they disappeared off the market. I say this with all the love in my heart. Is it truly wise for an artisan to acquire all the skills necessary to create veiled cane or hand mix batch in order to SAVE MONEY. OR hand build 5 rings of cored color using Italian glass to replicate the effects of Vetrofond odds? It takes time and costs us in fuel to carry out such tasks. Time money and energy that is best spent behind the torch creating art to keep cash flow coming in. A divided vision always fails...

Does everyone understand how much their furnaces cost them in fuel or electricity to run.... Try a whopping 900-1500.00 every 30 days. Go visit a few local glass blowers that only run ONE small furnace and perhaps two small sized crucible kilns and a color bar/pipe warmer. That is not including labor, the batch, and their skills acquired over time. Skills that no one else can do, or probably would never even want to do. Sea freight for German /Italian/ Japanese glass is dear, then it is broken down by staff who all need a pay check. How many hours were spent by boro mixers to expand our color pallet or strive to help us out by creating the perfect white boro rod. How about the air fair it costs during the negotiation of expanding our soft glass color selection/availability overseas. yada yada blah blah blah (I will spare you the the rest of the speech).

Is is possible that we do the same when marking up the cost of our own work to earn a living? Hmmm. How many rods of 50.00 per pound boro does it take to create one nice focal that might fetch us 30.00 - 80.00 each? My kiln only cost 5 bucks a day to anneal 10-45 nice sized focals. Raw material cost to fill the kiln averages around 20 - 65.00 tops when using precious metals. Our customers sort of do not understand why a bead that takes us an hour to make costs even 25.00 let alone 150.00 for a top grade premium (Bless their darling hearts).

Everything has gone up in price. Eggs, Gasoline, our stinking fuel/electric bill. Everything we buy has increased in price, but as far as the argument of the painter buying premium materials instead of furthering the development of his artistic skills... well that all depends upon your budget and ability to learn how to batch Trautmans teal blizzard or slave over recreating Terra
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Go give it a try… (insert giggle).

Seriously, just find the balance of selecting the glass that pleases you while being financially responsible. Grab these unheard of deals while they are there because they just might bankrupt other suppliers that are some of our absolute favorite companies. It is not just glass! Torch manufactures are just allowing distributorships with every mom and pop shop that opens up. The sales territory honor system just was done away with it seams. The market is flooded with product and the price undercutting begins, AND CUSTOMERS BEGIN TO SORT OF RESENT THE SUPPLIERS that have the nerve to charge a fair price for their materials. It confuses the consumers. So sad for everyone. I hope the recession does not continue to force stock dumping, as I truly fear the consequences.

Hope it was worth the read and does not ruffle too many feathers, and remember, maybe I am totally off base here?

It is only my opinion. ~ Starleen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by *StarleensStudio*; 2008-04-06 at 4:07pm. Reason: This was my first rant in 3 years of posting in a forum. I did pretty good huh? ~ Starleen