View Single Post
Old 2006-03-23, 6:10am
Safety ALWAYS

Ummm - Kim? Didymium is NOT safe for boro!!! Yes, I know a number of people use them, but it IS NOT SAFE for your eyes!!! Same with ACE/AUR-92/PHILLIPS-202. Neither of these filters have IR filters, and IR is the chief source of damage to the eye when working borosilicate glass.

I've posted elsewhere about the Phillips Boroscopes unsuitability for working boro, so I don't see the need to go into it here.

We do have several new filters coming out very soon (as soon as I can get my sorry ass in gear and get the website updated!) --

AGW-186 is being replaced by the AGW-300 filter, a one piece, non-laminated filter (which means thinner and lighter in weight).

The AGW-200 is being discontinued completely.

The AGW-250 is a new filter, to complement the AGW-203. The AGW-203 is available only in a shade 3.5, but the new AGW-250, full coverage as well will be available in all our standard shades: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 etc.

The AGW-286 is being modified to have spit shades only (for example 3/5). The reason for this is the new AGW-300 filter. There will no longer be any reason to have the clear IR filter on the upper portion of the lens, since the new AGW-300 filter glass has an IR filter built in to the glass.

AGW-325 is the "new" filter and will have a single filter wafer of a standard 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 etc welding filter, plus the upper "clear" section.

You can order any of these filters now, the glass is available, however, they are available only in non-prescription lenses (plano power). The prescription lenses will be available in about 2-3 months.

I should also mention that with the new filter line up, prices are falling! We've cut the price on the AGW-286 by about 25% (mainly because we don't have that expensive "clear" IR filter to deal with!).

Call Holly 800-281-2872 ext 16 for more information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.