View Single Post
Old 2014-04-12, 4:14am
Never too Old to Learn!

Unhappy Oxygen Sipping Torches?

Hello all!!! A few questions from a new old kid.

I am just moving up from a Hot Head to medium sized torch, Nortel Mid Range Plus with Mega Minor top. I am setting up a proper studio area for the first time. I have addressed the ventilation system, the fuel system, bought a gently used torch, and bought hoses regulators and such. Now my issue is oxygen supply.
Thanks to Robert over at Salt City Glass, I was informed that I would need between 30-40lpm of oxy to run both torches at same time. Ouch who knew I would need so much? Well I suppose all of you did!! Now the dilemma, should I buy 27 oxy cons to supply this torch? Ok, maybe 2 or 3!! Should I start daily delivery of bottled oxy? Should I buy a new torch that is less of a oxygen hog and a oxy con to match?
I thought I was buying a torch a step up from what I needed but this is no way a large torch. I want to eventually do up to 2 inch marbles, hell I would like to do any round marble, LOL!!!!
Suggestions from the gallery please!! Torches, Oxy Cons, or combinations? The other thing is I have been a lurker here for awhile and have learned so much from this forum. But there is such a love hate relationship with the oxy con dealers here, that I was apprehensive to even go that route. I believe bottled and just using the Mega side of torch gets me back torching this week, but not where I want and need to be in a week or two!!
Thanks
Dan