View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 7:58am

Cool I'm pondering something...any thoughts?

I've been pondering this for a little while now...

You can make hollow PMC beads by using cork or wood clay in the center and designing around it, and then burning off the wood when you fire it.

I wonder if there's any way to apply that to glass? My thoughts so far:

1) Put the wood clay around the mandrel after dipping in bead release. It's likely the clay will ignite the moment you touch it with glass, and then you won't have the shape you want, just an ashy mandrel.

2) Put the wood clay around the mandrel prior to dipping in bead release. Possible results - shape not held because heat causes the wood under the bead release to ignite, shape held but entire inside of hollow bead is now coated with bead release, (minorly) explosive result as gases from wood ignition are released from bead release shell.

I realize there are other ways to make hollow beads, I'm just interested in exploring the possibilities of how to use the media.

Any thoughts?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials: