View Single Post
Old 2010-03-30, 2:25pm

For #1 it depends on what you mean by 'better.' In general, I think the less you work metal, the better for metal integrity (unless you're annealing the metal ... which isn't really part of the coring process). If you mean 'better' as in better looking ... it depends on the buyer's opinion, but I think that many appreciate rounded better than flat.

In the interest of full-disclosure - I don't use a liner, I do my cores by hand, so my thoughts don't apply to your use of the liner tool. The way I've been most successful getting the tubing to curve, rather than just flatten, is by flaring the tubing with successively larger dapping punches with a good brass hammer. I softly use a chasing hammer to tighten things up at the end, but it has the potential to flatten things (along with cracking the bead).

As far as the burr goes ... can you change the blade in the cut-off saw to something with more, smaller teeth? I usually use my jeweler's saw with a 3/0 blade to cut tubing (or I'm lazy and use a small plumbing tube cutter). A couple of passes with a flat jeweler's file should help remove any burrs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.