View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 5:20am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Angelique - the shed is 8x16, which of course means the inside is something like 7'4" x 15'4" by the time you allow for the studs and siding. For under $400 I COULD have gone 10' x 16' and it would still have fit in the spot I was trying to put it, BUT - thankfully I'm an obsessive planner, and because of the delay in ordering it I had lots of time to think it through, because the cost and complexity of finishing the interior would have skyrocketed.

With an 8' barn, all the features that span the width of the barn - overhead rafters, overhead decking, the supports for the torch bench and the shelf beneath it - could use 8' 2x4s and plywood. That extra 2 feet means 10' support timbers and piecing together the plywood, instead of simply trimming a full 4x8 sheet. Plus we'd probably have gone to 2x6 studs for the loft floor, because of the extra distance and the lack of structural integrity from not using a single sheet of plywood. My steel torch bench top and backer would have been larger, it would have been more insulation, more paneling, more paint... lots more $$ for a relatively small increase in space.

Sharon - I'm not in a huge hurry to step up right now. I need to stop bleeding cash on the studio for awhile, plus I can't run an oxycon out there (running off generator power for anything that needs more juice than lights and exhaust fan, plus it's going to be below freezing for a lot of the next few months, and I hear that's not good for oxcons) so I'd be stuck with bottled oxygen. Plus I like the portability the Hothead gives me - being able to throw my kit in the RV and torch at the beach is a nice perk.

miniuniworld - I'm running the Hothead on Propane. 1/3 the cost of MAPP while I was on cylinders; now I'm hooked up to a 30lb tank and I get 3-4 months out of a refill that costs less than 3 1lb MAPP cylinders did.

One update - we had enough of a cold snap that I put a small propane heater in the studio. The insulation job we did works BRILLIANTLY; running the heater for a few minutes is enough to warm the space right up, and once it's warm it STAYS warm. I'm able to turn the heater off when I'm ready to light the torch, and even with the exhaust fan running it stays comfortable. Of course, that was at temps in the high 30s - low 40s; when we're down in single digit and sub-zero weather it might be a little more problematic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eregel; 2012-10-21 at 5:25am.