View Single Post
Old 2016-07-25, 6:09am

Default Making a hole

Sorry I haven't made the video for you yet. I can't figure out how to support my IPhone and I'm not ready to do a full video with all the equipment set up right now. But here's something I think will help you. The tweezers in this link are used the way I use my Peter Tweezers and if you scroll down, they explain how they do it (which is the same way I do it.) http://barthoffmann.com/shop/tools/n...ed-hole-maker/

When they say "4. As soon as the tips touch, move the handle back and forth a couple of times in a motion that makes the points rotate in the center of the hole.," let me try to clarify. I hold the piece upside down above the tweezers and insert the tips (facing the ceiling) so they touch each other through your small attached gather. If I'm using soft glass, I wait a few seconds for the glass to firm up a bit. Then I rock the tweezers like a pendulum, leaving the tool in the hole. I then rewarm the glass (but not so much that it closes the hole) and either repeat the rocking, pull the tweezers down toward the table a bit, or wiggle/twist the tweezers back and forth. Once you've gotten a hole, you can shape it with the tweezer's points.

Two tips:
1. You don't need a lot of heat to heat to make your hole bigger once you've broken through the glass.
2. Make sure the glass is stiffening up a bit before you rock or twist the tweezers or you'll throw your hole way off center.

I have my students practice by heating up a small gather on a rod and making bails on that gather. Remember to hold it so the gather is down and the rod is pointing toward the ceiling.

Let me know if this helps you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Buffalo, NY