View Single Post
Old 2014-05-23, 6:06am
one day at a time

Default Cracking and Crazing: the place to list incompatible glass combinations

We have been needing a thread like this for a long time. There are threads about incompatibilities that pop up every now and then only to be forgotten. You can find some of them in the searches, but you may not find the specific info you need. This is why we need ONE thread.

This is the place to list all of your incompatible glass combinations, so dig through your memory and put down all of the disasters you can think of. This will be a service to the glass community to help prevent problems that can not only be disappointing, but also not good for your business if a customer receives broken beads! So far, I have been lucky myself, but there have been a few close calls where I discovered tiny cracks or crazing when editing the photos in Photoshop.

Please list the color combinations you used by color, manufacturer, and how you made the beads. Remember, beads that crack straight down the mandrel are a thermal shock problem, and not incompatibility. If you are not sure, then describe what happened and show a picture if you can, and the rest of us will help you figure it out.

I will start with these:

Lauscha peach transparent base with swirled Effetre coral and white twistie melted in on the surface, donut round beads. So pretty, but a few days later all of them cracked like crazy and fell apart in little pieces.

Recent discovery - Lauscha opaque turquoise stringer decoration over Effetre turquoise base, donut rounds. Tiny hairline cracks where Lauscha meets the Effete.

Effetre light sky blue pastel base, stringer decoration of copper green, opal yellow, and purple 254 EDP (all Effetre), donut round beads. Major tiny crazing all over the beads. I made these twice, about three years apart and got the same exact results, so it was not a batch problem. The copper green, opal yellow, and EDP is a popular and beautiful combination that is problem free, but keep it away from the light sky blue.

Gaffer Amethyst (G-11) frit over Bullseye neo lavender opal, donut round beads. Major crazing. Also the same thing with Kugler K-14 (a transparent violet) over Bullseye transparent neo lavender. This suggests to me that the 96 frits do not do well with Bullseye, so be careful. Or better yet, use Uroboros 96 COE rods as a base for your frit. I have never had a problem with Uroboros and any of the 96 COE frit. I don't use anything larger than size #00 or #0 frit on Effete, Vetrofond, and CiM, meaning I don't take the risk of using size #1 on 104, but that's just me.