View Single Post
Old 2016-02-12, 2:27pm

Default Just starting out

Hello I'm new to the glass working community. Im writing this in the hopes of some feedback to avoid common beginner mistakes. I hope to eventually build a carrier in boro glass blowing. My set up is as basic as it gets right now, just a hot head and an annealing blanket in the conner of my shed. Ive been making beads and laticino to build a basic foundation for working with glass. I've taken two courses in high school and have worked on a larger torch, but I have no experience blowing.
What things should I keep in mind while working up to a bigger torch? Currently I'm struggling keeping even small beads from cracking, as it is cold where I live. Also what options are available in terms of gas? I've been working with MAPP but recently found out that it has been discontinued. I've heard that propane can be dirty, and I'm not sure where to find propylene in bulk. In terms of equipment my next investment is likely to be a kiln but I have no idea where to start. Good ventilation will also be a concern, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary on the hot head.
Thanks in advance for any input, and I'm very excited to be part of this community.

Last edited by Licorice_Panda; 2016-02-12 at 2:30pm. Reason: Broken link, minor format tweeks