View Single Post
Old 2014-08-06, 10:14am

I have been there the last two years, and will be there again in 2015.
The Best Bead Show is changing, but still the best place for handmade beads. I think it is the only one that has lampwork tools. Another show for handmade beads and lots of tools and high end findings is the Pueblo Gem Show. It is on the strip of shows on the I10, so when visiting this one, it is easy to have a look at a few more varied shows.
For the greatest variety of stuff, I would recommend the Gem Mall. It is a wholesale show only. I understood that they will have both the Holidome and the Gem Mall all in one this time. To Bead True Blue is great for nice findings and also home to quite a few lampworkers.
Finally, if you can make it: Do not miss the Flame Off at the Sonoran Glass school. It is a great event, with flameworkers doing a challenge, both individually and as a team, and the pieces are autioned off. On the night itself, tools from several dealers are sold.

I love Tucson! I love it so much, that I wrote a book about the show. I interviewed 20 people ranging from collectors, rock hounds, the people selling food, the shuttle bus driver, and two glass artists: Joanne Zekowski and Kevin o' Grady. You can download the book for free in a PDF format her: http://www.beadmuseumonline.com. It also includes some do's and don'ts and links and such.