View Single Post
Old 2007-04-30, 10:11am
Save the Numbats

We used Carlisles for soft glass in Corning. They are really good for blowing soft glass... As mentioned by the CarlisleGuy, many soft glass artists use a CC... Fred Birkhill for instance (I took Shane and Fred's class). Since the premix is awful for soft glass, you have to turn OFF the center fire, which last I checked Carlisle doesn't recommend. Fred says he's been doing it for 30 years and his torch still works and he hasn't blown hmself up, so it seems okay from here.

I don't mean to snibble but Shane doesn't use a CC exclusively. At home he prefers a special crossfire torch with a cutout in the table. I was fortunate enough to witness this in person while traveling through NC this year. The crossfire is another really good option for blowing soft glass.

A Lynx tends to be a bit hot for blowing soft glass, at most settings it sort of vaporizes the surface! You can set it lower, though. Um.. do you even want to blow soft glass?

Some people make about 2 inch boro marbles on Lynxes and with multiple pieces, quite large blown work is possible on a Lynx. Overall the CC probably has a size edge over the Lynx. I know which I'd rather use for boro, though. When we were making paperweights on CCs at Corning (the last time I used one.. too bad because they're sort of fun) I recall lots of torch burn on my face and splashback heat. The flame isn't quite as focused as Mirage or something.

Am I blathering on? I can't tell. I think theres somehting wrong with my coffee today.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-30 at 10:13am.