View Single Post
Old 2011-02-18, 9:05am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Ok I have 2 question, but they are general ones so if you don't want to answer them just let me know & I will post them in the forum rather than this thread .

First question is - how easy is it to burn frit? I'm not talking about special frit like silver glass or anything, just normal everyday frit, opaques, transparents or a mix of both. I love using frit but sometimes after the beads have cooled I look at it & think "yuck!" because the colours look all muddy or really dark & I think it looks like I've burnt it.

Second question is - apart from obvious differences like the gauge of wire that you use when you string your beads or the fact that you want to make a bead into something like a pandora bead, what differences are there in the different mandrel sizes? I guess what I am asking is if I was just making an average everyday bead (so not a pandora BHB) does it make a difference what size mandrels I use? Is it just down to personal preference?

ETA - for the first question, I'm using a cricket, I wonder if I have my flame right or not? But then it looks right to me!

My guess on the frit is that it's not getting burnt (some frits will soot up very easily in an even slightly reducing flame, but I don't think this is your problem) but that it's reacting. Many frits contain lead, copper, or silver, all of which will react by creating a muddy or dark line where it touches any glass containing sulphur, such as yellow, amber, or ivory. Try the same frit on a white or light blue base and see if you have the same problem; if you do, it's likely that your flame is on the reducing side and you need to turn down your propane or add more oxygen.

As far as I can tell, most jewelry designers prefer a smaller hole in the smaller beads they buy. Many, however, prefer a larger hole in focal beads, so they can string them on thicker/multi-stranded material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.