View Single Post
Old 2015-02-05, 12:41am
Phill

There are some details about the way the air moves around your body that complicate how your ventilation system is set up.

Say that you work with your arms bent a little and the torch is pretty much at your hands.
the flame and all the combustion gases are going to be creating a ball of fumes 2 feet in diameter around the flame.
That ball of fumes is only two feet from your face.

You want the vent system to pull that ball of gases up and away from your hands so that good air is coming over your shoulder to give you something to breath.

If you could use duct work to bring make up air right up under your bench and feed make up air to the under side of your torch then you would have an 'almost perfect' system.
The torch gases would go up and out the vent fan and new 'make up air would come up through the bench surface and replace the air going out the vent fan.

I call it an "almost" perfect system because doing it that way would require at least an 8 inch hole right under your torch. This is not good for most of us because that is where I set tools down and also I would be constantly dropping things in to that hole which is going to get very annoying very quickly. Covering it with a screen could work but for very line of screen width I would have to increase the size of that hole so and 8 inch hole would the get to be some 14 inches or bigger.

AT the moment I have my make up air come in at the back of my bench and I have a piece of stone the size of a 2x4 across my bench right at the base of my torch. this causes the makeup air to ride up and feed the underside of the torch flame and then it goes out the ventilation fan. I can limit the amount of makeup air enough so that I get a small amount of air to come over my shoulder and give me breathing air from my home heating system. It does not eliminate "conditioned air" from going out the ventilations system but it reduces it to a very small amount.