View Single Post
Old 2015-01-20, 1:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
The bronze in my beads is as vibrant in real-life scenario as in the photograph. I mostly sell to my students and those beads were all sold in the studio classroom with just the fluorescent ceiling lights.
Here's an old photo of something made with unknown DH glass. You'll notice that the places where the paper is reflecting off of the piece are like rainbow oil slicks, and the rest aren't. Granted, a normal environment will show more reflections where the photo has none, and less where the are some, because the white paper background gives an excellent broad, gentle, full-spectrum illumination for the surface-reduction to show up, and the non-reflective areas are almost totally lightless (this was taken in a black box with a spot light inside, so pretty much opposite of a light-tent setup).

It's not that the rainbow effect is never seen in real life, but that it never covers the entire piece so vibrantly as these light-tent photos show, and sometimes it is all but imperceptible. It's beautiful stuff, but I've had enough trouble photographing it to know that it is light-dependent.

To be clear - a light that is strong enough to make a white-spot reflection on the glass will only show the white-spot reflection. What's required for the rainbows to show up is a broad, gentle, but not-too-dim light source. In Double Helix's video posted above, it comes from the light reflecting off of the ceiling, walls, etc., and the best source, because it's the closest, is the table. Here's a link to the end where they're showing the bead off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...QnCbRR9Y&t=152

Last edited by dusty; 2015-01-20 at 2:25pm.