Thread: Taming Terra
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-02, 11:11pm

I really appreciate the opinions, everyone -- and the kind words, too.

I'm pretty sure at this point that "Taming Terra" will focus on both 2007 and 2012 Terra. And don't worry if you don't have any original Terra. Why? Because now you can get some! Read on.

Jed at Double Helix sent me some rods this week from a batch of his 2012 Terra that he said was striking faster than the other batches he's released. When I started making my first test bead with this "fast striking" Terra, I just about fell out of my chair. It works and strikes exactly like the early batches of 2007 Terra I use for my "Essential Terra" series. It has the opacity and "chalkiness" of the original. It holds its color in the kiln without being encased. It blooms with gorgeous color easily on the first strike, and with very little coaxing will produce gorgeous blues, greens, yellows, pinks, purples, browns and taupes. I can find no difference at all between this new fast striking Terra and the original batches of Terra I bought in 2007.

Here are my first quick test beads from the fast striking Terra. It isn't a great photo, but they are pretty much indistinguishable from the beads I made using early batches of Terra in 2007.

Jed has 2 batches of the fast striking Terra on his site now. The 2/16 batch is the one I've tested, but according to Jed the 2/14 batch is very similar. There will be more fast striking Terra on the way after these 2 batches. Jed says he expects to be pulling more of it all this coming week and possibly the next week.

So this is a heads-up for those of you who plan on getting my tutorial and don't have any original Terra: RUN to the Double Helix site and grab some of the "Fast Striking Terra" that's for sale on the front page. You will be able to use this glass for anything in my tutorial that calls for original 2007 Terra. I expect that once word gets out what they are, these batches will sell out pretty fast. If you want some, don't waste time!

I'll post more details on the tutorial soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bluffroadglass; 2012-03-03 at 9:13am.